PRC Homes Repair Scheme

Frequently Asked Questions

1.    I have a PRC certificate dated before July 2016 – can BRE Global help me with it?

No - the BRE Global scheme issued its first certificate in July 2016.  Any repair certificates from before this date will not be from the BRE Global Scheme and BRE Global will not be able to respond to any queries regarding such repairs or certificates.

A significant number of repairs were undertaken within the PRC Homes Scheme operated by PRC Homes Ltd who were themselves a subsidiary of the NHBC.  The NHBC may be able to help you better understand the nature of the changes/repairs made to your property.   Please see the NHBC Homeowner’s website at for contact details regarding any enquiry of this nature.

2.    I am interested in making repairs to a PRC house but I do not know what type it is – what do I do?

The most important first step is to identify what type of house it is.  There were nearly 200 different types of PRC house types built in the UK and they all have differing types of structure requiring differing repair solutions.

If you are unsure what type of PRC house it is that you are interested in then you may be able to identify the type by:

  • Carefully checking any paperwork associated with

-   the original construction of the dwelling, or

-   any earlier structural repairs on the dwelling

  • Using a Building Surveyor who with a capability concerning PRC houses.
  • Contacting the Local Authority.   
  • Speaking to neighbours with similar dwellings.

3.    What PRC house types does the BRE Global scheme cover?

Currently the BRE Global Scheme has registered Repair Specifications for the following PRC house types:

  • Airey
  • Reema
  • Wates

The BRE Global Scheme doesn’t currently cover other PRC house types.

If your house type is not one of these and you continue to be interested in having certified repairs undertaken then BRE would recommend contacting one of the Registered Practitioners within the Scheme (see here) and explore whether they will develop a Repair Specification for the house type in which you are interested.  Once a Repair Specification is developed and approved then a Registered Practitioner would be able to undertake appropriate repairs and provide a repair certificate from the BRE Global Scheme.

4.    How do I progress with an enquiry for a PRC home repair through the BRE Global PRC Homes Repair Scheme?

BRE Global is the operator of the PRC Homes Repair Scheme.  Within the Scheme BRE Global has established a Register of Practitioners.  It is only these Registered Practitioners who survey, cost and undertake repairs on PRC homes using the BRE Global approved Repair Specifications (see FAQ No. 3) within the BRE Global Scheme.  These repairs can then be certified through the Scheme.

BRE Global itself does not undertake the surveying, costing or repairs within the Scheme and all enquiries should be directed towards these Practitioners.

Contact details for the Registered Practitioners can be found on the BRE Global PRC Homes Repair Scheme website here.

If your repair enquiry is for a house type outside of those listed in FAQ No. 3 then please follow the suggestion in the final paragraph of FAQ No. 3.

5.    I have a general query regarding a PRC house – Should I contact the BRE Global Scheme?

The scope of the BRE Global PRC Repair Scheme is strictly limited to the Certification of new repairs by Registered Practitioners (see FAQ No. 4) on specific types of PRC houses (see FAQ No. 3).  The scope of the BRE Global Scheme does not include answering general questions on the nature of PRC home construction and the implications of this construction type.

If you have this type of generic question these should be addressed to a Building Surveyor or qualified Structural Engineer who is a specialist in PRC houses.         

Scheme page

Search BREG Listings

Search schemes for a specific product company or individual

Click here

Search BREG Listings


E: BRE Customer Services
T: +44 (0)333 321 8811